Thursday, August 19, 2004

In the Beginning...

Life at college gets me down sometimes. Sometimes it's because everything just comes at you at once, five big projects due one day, three tests the day after, and a football game the Saturday before that I have to go to because I'm in the band. Sometimes it's because there's nothing else to do, all my friends are busy with stuff, they have their plans and I have none because all my stuff was due last week and so I'm granted a reprieve, and thus sentanced to perpetual boredom. At least, as far as the weekend is concerned. And then there's dodging the drinking parties, and trying to avoid the occasional person who for some reason really wants to talk to me, but I can't stand them. I try to be nice, but that can only take me so far, you know what I mean? After awhile I'm at wits and and I'd jump off a bridge if I could be sure the person wouldn't follow me. Anything to get away.
Life at college does have its advantages, though. Everything you really need is easily accessible. There's the dining hall, the gym, the cinema, band room, school plays, the library, really nice computer labs - all within a reasonable walking distance. There's the two Septa trains that run through campus, one of them connecting with Amtrak at select stations, so you can get almost anywhere you want to go without relying on an automobile. I must admit that part of life in college is rather easy to adapt to; I don't know what I'll do when it's gone. Then of course there's the company, the friends you make here that will be with you for the rest of your life.
All in all, college is worth it, and I wouldn't really want to be anywhere else. Except, of course, if there's a due date tomorrow.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dodging the drinking parties"...you mean the ones that are pretty much held in the same spot every time that are nowhere near you so why must you make it sound like people hogtie you and take you there against your will? This is college, this is one step away from the real world. If you keep dodging all that's wrong with it, where will you end up?
-->rigel_7@writeme.com

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a little presumptuous there, buddy.
If everyone around you is pressuring you, and talking about it, and the culture is entirely a bunch of non-social drinkers, it gets a little hard to ignore, you know?
No you don't have to go. But everyone talking about it makes it feel that way. I should know. I'm in a similar situation, and the guys are great unless it's women or alcohol or sports. And I can't really ignore them and remain part of the group now, can I?

I dunno whose head is in the sand. Maybe a little of both, bud. No, you can't hide from the world. But to assume that the world consists of lushes is a bit extreme too.

Where will you end up? Somewhere that's not wrong...

Peter Cahill

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares