Friday, October 08, 2004

Respecting Morality

In this day and age, it's hard to find people with the same thoughts on morality as you do. Sometimes, I wonder if some people even know what morality means.
If you want to have friends, you can't afford to be picky anymore. I have learned that sometimes when chosing friends what matters most is that they have morality, and they follow it. At least they're putting an effort forth towards living life as they think it should be lived. At least they're trying. At least they're aiming towards an end goal, a way to live their life, their plans for living the best they can.
If someone is putting forth an effort, I see no reason to shun them. We have no right to impose all our ideals on everyone -- it's just not practical. Some are standard -- don't kill, stealing isn't nice, that sort of thing. But beyond that, things get fuzzy.
So I guess the moral of the story is that you can be friends with anyone as long as you're willing to accept them for who they are, and they are willing to return the favor. But the friends who share my ideals are the ones I'm the closes to. They're the ones I can bounce ideas off of, and know that their reactions will be based on a morality similar to mine. I can trust their judgement, I can agree with them.
But that doesn't mean I should reject chances to forge friendships with those different than me. I'm missing out on great opportunities if I do.
Sometimes we can't see our similarities for the differences. Only through willingness to make friends with others of different viewpoints can we really see our ideals from all angles. It doesn't detract from our values, it strengthens them.
And isn't that a good thing?
Don't we want that?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I know that's what I want, but I doubt it will ever happen. It may sound pessimistic but the way I see it in order for people to understand how to respect morality they not only have to define morality itself, they must also be able to define respect. Which some people have lost the ability to do somehow.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Me said...

I will admit, respect seems a lost cause nowadays. You'd think some people were born staring in a mirror or something.
Part of the reason, I think, is the Advertising Industry. To sell you stuff, they feed you all these lines about "pamper yourself" or "you'll never be happy until you have this". Another reason is smaller families. If you don't have siblings to fight with, how are you ever really going to learn how to share?
Just my two cents.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares