Thursday, January 27, 2005

Poem - I Am the Cat

In Egypt they worshiped me -
I am the Cat.
Because I bend not to the will of man
They call be a mystery.
When I catch and play with a mouse,
They call me cruel,
Yet they take animals to keep
In parks and zoos, that they may gape at them.
They think all animals are made for their pleasure,
To be their slaves.
And, while I kill only for my needs,
They kill for pleasure, power and gold,
And then pretend to a superiority!
Why should I love them?
I, the Cat, whose ancestors
Proudly trod the jungle,
Not one ever tamed by man.
Ah, do they know
That the same immortal hand
That gave them breath, gave breath to me?
But I alone am free -
I am THE CAT.

~ Leila Usher

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger The Rocks said...

That is such an amazing poem, and so true! Thanks for posting it!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read it in "Tiger's Curse" and ever since then i have been searching for it. Thx for posting it. :)

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like this poem it is so true
i really feel that everything said in this poem is true-especially how us humans perceive that animals were made for us to slaughter

1:39 PM  
Blogger Nobody said...

I just started reading Tiger's Curse and I wondered if the author just made it up or if it was real. I agree with it.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares