Friday, June 10, 2005

Knowing Nothing

I like to say I am the first to admit when I don't know something. Of course, this isn't always true, but I like to think it is. Self-dilusion and all that.
It's funny how hard it can be to admit that you don't know the answer to something. Sometimes it seems easier to just make something up, even with the knowledge of what will happen when the person you told your facts to realizes that you just made something up. Educated guesses are one thing when they are announced as educated guesses. (Or "SWAGs," at Boeing. That stands for "Scientific Wild-Ass Guess.") It's a different thing entirely when educated guesses are announced as pure fact instead of hypothesis. That can cause a lot of problems, to say the least.

Sometimes admitting you don't know something is the best course of action. I, personally, like the "I'm not sure, but I can find you the answer if you'd like" approach. I want to know everything, I just haven't gotten there yet, and that approach is just one more part of my quest for knowledge. =)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares