Friday, September 03, 2004

I Am Me

I am me. In today's society, it's so easy to forget that, especially with society always trying to sell you something. It's like life in the United States is all about "You're not happy until you have this." Someone's always trying to sell you something, and now even personal email accounts aren't safe from the messages that "you can't measure up until you buy this," or "to be really happy you need one of these."
No wonder there's so much crime and depression and suicide in our country. If everyone is telling you you're not perfect, you don't measure up, you need this, that, and the other thing, what's a person supposed to do? Either believe in yourself and ignore everyone else, in which case they'll try to pull you in by crueler means, or else give in and believe what they tell you, that unless you have enough money you never will measure up, or be completely happy.
It's the curses of Capitalism. Either you tell people they're inferior and unhappy without what you want to sell, or else get a sports star to claim you'll be more like him or her if you use the product for sale. And then society makes even more money by treating our inferiority complexes.
Sigh. That's the country we live in. No wonder the rest of the world seems to laugh at us. We're just seriously messed up, and making it worse per day and television commercial and magazine ad. It's just not good enough to be yourself anymore. Everyone has to be a rich super model or a wealthy James Bond, or else go through plastic surgery and insane diets and/or exercise plans and counseling and medication, just so they can cope with society's constant message: "You just don't measure up."
That's why I don't watch television. National Geographic and the Internet are all I need. Maybe that's why I've managed to survive this long. Maybe that's why I'm still around to write these observations. I don't like taking poison, no matter how many people tell me it's good for me. I'm just suspicious like that.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Half a poison pill won't kill you. But would you prescribe yourself a daily dose of half a poison pill? Especially if it doesn't have any positive side effects?
I don't really think so.
And can you really say that you're entirely immune? It may not directly effect you, but even things your immune to can occupy your immune system. And while you're effectively fighting off the poison, some other bug you come in contact with can bring you down.
I don't really see the point of taking chances.
I don't like poison. And even if it cannot hurt me directly, I still don't want to deal with the indirect effects. I'm just going to stay away. Why take poison if you don't really need it for anything, and it does you no good?
I don't see the point. And so I stay away.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares